Having a bad odour in the mouth can be a real confidence killer. No matter how many mints you eat, sometimes the bad odour still persists, and it’s sometimes impossible to get rid of.
Bad odour generates from the bacteria and dead cells that settle on your tongue from the foods you eat. When the bacteria persists due to not having the appropriate equipment to remove bacteria off your tongue.
Have you considered tongue scraping for bad breath? Naturally, patients would use a soft bristle toothbrush to clean their tongue, but this can mean a shorter shelf-life for your toothbrush on your teeth because the bristles may become damaged faster. Also, using a tongue scraper is more effective compared to a toothbrush.
A tongue scraper is a special device that is effective in keeping your tongue clean and fresh from bacteria.
How To Use A Tongue Scraper
Tongue scraping for bad breath can be performed in the following ways:
- Step 1 – Open your mouth wide and push your tongue out in front of your mouth.
- Step 2 – Place the tongue scraping device towards the back of the tongue
- Step 3 – Slowly and gradually bring the scraper forward, picking up the bacterial cells in the process
- Step 4 – Rinse the scraper
- Step 5 – Perform the scraping action again two or three more times. It is recommended that you only scrape your tongue.
- Step 6 – Wash the tongue scraper away with soap and warm water
- Step 7 – Store the tongue scraper away for next use
The procedure is simple, low risk, and painless. Although ensure you gently scrape the tongue and not with excessive force as this can cause bleeding.
Benefits of Tongue Scraping
Tongue scraping for bad breath isn’t exactly a step in an oral routine that many people perform. There are hidden benefits to enjoy if you do start to scrape your tongue, however.
- Remove Bacterial Cells – The more bad bacteria that form inside the mouth, the higher the chance of bad breath and cavities forming. Bacteria can also cause gum disease.
- Improve Your Send Of Taste – If your odour is strong in the mouth, it can impact your sense of taste when you eat your next meal.
- Freshens Breath – To reduce bad odour, you can try mouthwash and brushing your teeth, but tongue scraping is the most effective method to bring a fresh odour inside the mouth.
- Reduces Plaque Build-Up – When bacteria accumulate in the mouth, dental plaque then begins to coat your teeth, which is the first stage of tooth decay. To avoid this, scrape your tongue.
Tongue scraping should be considered as one of the basic oral hygiene fundamentals. Bacteria is likely to originate from the mouth causing bad breath. Tongue scraping for bad breath will be one of the best choices you make. Although, consult the dentist regarding any dangers of using tongue scraping should you have any concerns. The dentist will also provide you with more information and how tongue scraping can benefit your oral health.
Why not book yourself in for a check-up with us at Dural Dental today? Click here to get started.